Monday, April 22, 2013

Interview: Price Stone, photographer

While on my trip in Nashville, I had the opportunity to shoot with Price Stone, a young photographer based out of Nashville. How young am I talking? He's actually still in high school! However, age is truly just a number. Stone is incredibly talented and passionate about his work. Take a look at my interview with him and I also snuck in some of our shots!

IG: So Price, tell me a little bit about yourself. How did this whole thing start?
Stone: Well, as a child, I spent a lot of time with my grandfather who was an avid photographer of the natural world. I was always fascinated by his photos and knew that someday I wanted to take my own. In middle school I got my first camera and started by taking pictures of nature, just like my grandpa had done. His work has been one of my biggest inspirations. At age 14, I realized that though I loved taking photos, nature wasn't ta subject that intrigued me. I tried portraiture, but the day I found fashion photography, I was hooked. My major obsession with fashion photography began with Anne Lybowitz and Laurence Ellis. It is truly my passion. Three years later, it is still all I think about.

IG: That is so sweet that your grandfather was able to influence your passion! I'm sure he's really proud of all you've accomplished so far. As I'm sure you'd love to share, where has photography taken you so far?
Stone: Before I say anything, I want to preface with this: less than a year ago, I had to beg models to let me shoot them or I was shooting girls from my high school. Now, I'm an 18 year old photographer working with the top Nashville agency, MACS|AMAX, and now with Envy Model Management in New York City. Besides working with agencies, I shot for Jondie Boutique, and, soon, I will be working with Black by Maria Silver and Parlor Vintage. It is amazing what a good eye and hard work can do for your career.

IG: Looks like great things are in store for you! What plans do you have for your future, near or far?
Stone: For now, I just plan to keep improving my work. I want to travel more to broaden my portfolio. I have to keep putting my name out there and promoting myself as an artist. Someday, I want to shoot the Topman/Topshop ads and big labels like Prada and Fendi!

IG: From the sounds of it, you are well on your way! What kind planning went into the shoot we had?
Stone: In preparation for our shoot, I looked through your book to get an idea of what I wanted to do with you. I then contacted a stylist. After a week of searching, we had some amazing pieces collected for the shoot. As far as hair and makeup goes, I didn't want it to be too prominent. I wanted to be able to see some of your freckles and the shoot felt more raw and emotional that way. The flowers in the parking lot were completely random! I was just driving to go get coffee with a friend and happened to notice the location. Immediately, everything came together in my mind. In the end, it turned out to be a great shoot and the photos are definitely portfolio-worthy.

IG: Do you have any favorite moments from past shoots?
Stone: I shot a girl with MACS|AMAX named Binx. As soon as she walked into my makeshift, garage studio, we clicked. Together, we had one of the most beautiful and fun shoots that I've done in my career. Another moment I've had during my career wasn't with a model but an agent I work with. She commented on a preview I posted of a shoot, and she complimented my work. My heart melted. That moment helped me to realize that my hard work was finally paying off.

Stone is so driven and is working so hard towards his goals. I can't wait to see where he's at in a year!





I hope this inspiring interview sets your week off on a great start!
Link: Price Stone Photography

Happy blogging,
Caleigh xx

No comments:

Post a Comment