Thursday, April 11, 2013

Cabin fever cure: Nashville road trip

It has been over a month since I returned home from Asia, and I think it suffices to say that there was nothing for me to come back to, as far as my career is concerned. The "fashion" industry in Knoxville consists of small boutiques and department stores and there is just not a whole lot going on. So, traveling to Nashville this past week was a much needed breath of fresh air.

Nashville celebrated its third annual Nashville Fashion Week, April 2-6. I was scouted during a model search at last year's fashion week and was able to walk in it for the Friday and Saturday shows. This year, I walked Tuesday and Friday night for designers such as Kal Reiman, Reddoll by Tatyana Merenyuk, and Plenty by Tracy Reese. On the days I wasn't in a show, I spent my time shooting with photographers Layla Mays, Price Stone, and Jesse Koska. Needless to say, I had a very busy, but enjoyable week. After a month of sitting idle, I was more than ready for this.




The highlight of my trip had to be the agency meeting. Wednesday, myself and most of the new faces at my agency gathered at the Indigo Hotel to meet with some of the top agencies in the nation. There were 12 agencies represented and 19 agents from different markets ready to scout and scour the room for the girls with that "it" factor.

I was beyond nervous when my name was called. I simply had to walk the length of the room and exit. I've walked in shows a countless number of times, but today was different. Could it have been the carpeted floors making my legs shaky and my footing uncertain? Or was it the fact that this was it, the chance I had been waiting for to get scouted for New York, my childhood dream all falling into place? I tried to steady myself as I walked, all of their eyes staring straight through my shield. They knew how nervous I was; there was no hiding that. When I exited the room, I breathed a sigh of relief, shook my nervousness off, and waited for the call-backs.

Twenty minutes went by before anyone was given their list. Each model would get a list with the names of all the agencies that were waiting to meet them. I saw some lists with only one name, some  lists that seemed endless. I dreaded that mine, too, might be nearly blank. When my director handed me my list, I took a deep breath and flipped it over. To my astonishment, 9 of the 12 agencies had called me back! I went into the room with my head held high, ready to chat it up and take snaps to secure my place in New York!

*These agents were merely scouts, and that day was only half the battle. They will take my photos and measurements back to their agencies, review my file with their board, and make a final decision on whether or not they want me on board. I will be sure to post an update when I hear back from them!*

 Call-back list: Women, One, Wilhelmina Miami, Wilhelmina NY/LA, IMG, Ford, Trump, the Society, Next LA/NY
Polaroid by Price Stone

Polaroid by Price Stone

Polaroid by Price Stone




No comments:

Post a Comment